Thursday, April 22, 2010

Paper Toys for Beginners



As I mentioned about the book I published earlier in other post, I like to add more information about the book, "Paper Toys for Beginners."
Last summer, I have published a book called, "Paper Toys for Beginners." I had many different options, but I chose to make an origami book because I wanted many kids to get interested in origami for fun as I did when I was young. So I decided to collect some instructions that are easy to follow but interesting enough to play with. I recall my memory and picked few that interested me the most. Totally based on my personal taste. Then I leveled 11 instructions into three different categories; easy, medium, and hard. Based on their previous experience or understandability of instructions, people could choose which one to do first. I also added diagrams showing how to make a square out of a rectangular piece of paper since it is hard to find origami papers here in US unlike in Japan or Korea. About 80% of origami starts with square, but I added few with retangular requiring objects to show the variation. The contents are dancing octopus, caterpillar, monkey climbing a tree, piano, box, airplane, boat,butterfly, heart, and talking crow.
In order to get some feedbacks, I visited a school, Banneker Charter School in Cambridge, MA. I went to Kindergarten, 2nd grade, 4th grade, and 6th grade classes to show them how to make origami. Of course, I taught them things I included in my book. I taught caterpillars and dancing octopus to Kindergarteners, dancing octopus and airplane to 2nd graders, airplane and boat to 4th graders, and boat and talking crow to 6th graders. Kids needed little bit of help from their teachers, but they mostly followed my direction well.

Time with these kids really helped me how to explain each diagram in words. Since I had so much fun with them, I added their pictures of making things at the end of the book. The process was fun for me. I have sold about 10 books to my teachers and friends. They thought my book could be a good gift to children, their kids or cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment